So after a lot of questions on what I did to lose 30 lbs for my wedding, I thought it might be a good idea to write a detailed post on all of my little secrets. I hope you enjoy! Please feel free to comment or ask questions.
- BE SOCIAL. Make working out a social event – everyone is busy so instead of meeting up with friends for dinner or a movie or cupcakes and coffee, meet up for yoga, a spin class, or just a good old fashioned gym session – you get to spend time with a friend and burn calories at the same time!
- FIND YOUR KRYPTONITE. Figure out what your vices are and then find a replacement. I love soft chocolate chip cookies and really thick creamy milk shakes – both of which do not lend to losing weight and probably make up all the calories you should be eating in one day. Instead of cookies and milkshakes, I converted to a loyal French macaron consumer – they are delicious and fulfill that sugary craving but are typically under 80 calories each.
- LOW SUGAR & HIGH FIBER. Try to avoid foods high in sugar (both natural and processed). For fruits, stick to apples, any kind of berries, grape tomatoes. Eat tons of veggies. No burgers, no pork, no red meat. Chicken, fish, lots of sushi. Basically, just eat clean, fresh foods.
- PUMP UP THE JAMS!!! Spend money on good beats. Never do cardio without really fun music. Try to get in 45 minutes of cardio three to four times a week – I hate cardio so for me this is a super challenge.
- DRINK UP. Drink water, not diet soda, juices, etc. Drink water often. As stated in an earlier post, I pee about every 30 minutes – it’s really annoying and inconvenient, but being well hydrated allows me to evaluate when I am truly hungry. (Hunger can often be mistaken for thirst.)
- LULULEMON. It’s absurdly expensive, but 100% worth it. Even when I was 15 lbs heavier than I am now, it made me feel good. When you feel like you look good, you feel better about yourself. If you feel better about yourself, you exude positive energy and you work out better. If you are a student or are on a tighter budget, try Gap Fit – their stuff is really awesome too and about half the price.
- 5 POUNDS. Buy five pound dumbbells and keep them in your apartment, office, house, whatever dwelling you spend time in. Every morning when I wake up, I go shower, brush my teeth and then I do 50 to 100 reps on my arms – I do bicep curls, shoulder presses, rows, straight in front lifts and straight out to the side lifts. Your metabolism is in your muscles – if you give your arm muscles a kick start in the morning, you will burn more calories throughout the day. DO THIS EVERYDAY. If you can’t make it to the gym at least three to four times a week for 45 minutes, do this – it will REALLY help you.
- USE YOUR BODY. Some of the best strength training exercises can be done with just your body! Squats, push-ups, lunges, crunches, mountain climbers, yoga, etc. are some of the best exercises you can do when it comes to toning up those wiggles. Strength training is super important and will help you to tone and maximize ongoing calorie burning – so many people think that cardio leads to weight loss, but I found that weight lifting and yoga really produced amazing results for me. You need cardio, but for me, doing about 70 percent weight training and 30 percent cardio worked really well.
- DRESS WELL. Make sure your salads are well dressed. When you order a salad for lunch with low fat, no sugar, low calorie ranch dressing, you really have no freakin’ idea what is in it – preservatives, weird chemicals that might make you grow a foot in your stomach, who knows? Anyway, my point is, always request something clean and simple. My general go-to is freshly squeezed lemon juice – most NYC salad places have this as an available option, a very small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper – Voila! Tasty and healthy!
- SMILE. Stay positive. A. Weight, like age is only a number. B. Losing weight can be soooo tough and as women (and some men out there), we are always comparing ourselves to society’s version of “beauty” or to each other. C. The most important part of losing weight is looking in the mirror everyday right before you get in the shower (or out of the shower), glaring at your nudie body and telling yourself that you are beautiful. Beauty really does come from within, so if you feel good inside and you are happy with who you are as a person, it shines through.